Sunday 5 September 2010

Cycles of Chemotherapy treatment

Having been diagnosed as having a relapse (not a nice phrase) I have been set up with an appropriate chemotherapy protocol called "BEP - 3 Days".  This is basically a number of three week chemotherapy cycles (in my case, I believe, three cycles of three weeks).

The BEP protocol specifies three chemotherapy drugs: Etoposide (the "E"); Cisplatin (the "P") and Bleomycin (the "B") each of which combine to disrupt (and kill?) the growth of cancer cells and in particular testicular cancer.  There are other protocols for TC and other cancers, but I'm on BEP.

Each cycle of BEP is split into three hospital trips:

  1. Three days as an inpatient (lots of infusions)
  2. One as an outpatient (one infusion of bleomycin)
  3. One as an outpatient (one infusion of bleomycin)
Now clearly the above can change depending on how the drugs affect the patient, don't forget these are pretty powerful "poisons" and as such have a goodly number of side effects that need to be monitored (more about that later).

But for now, my understanding is that I am having 3 x 3 weeks of treatment - 63 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment