Monday 6 September 2010

2010/09/02 - Day 2 of 63, I am exceptional!

Day 2 started in an interesting way, when having Chemotherapy the doctors are concerned with what other medication you might be taking (especially herbal stuff) as it might effect your regime.  Well I forgot to mention that I am on TRT, so I mentioned it to a couple of the nurses through day 1 and eventually (after breakfast) one of the SHOs came in to find out what I was on and why (well you'd have hoped after reading my notes he'd have had an idea).  Anyway the TRT is fine (as I'd thought), so onwards and upwards.

Day 2 is the big day, where you get all three drugs infused:

  1. 1 x Bleomycin - 30 minutes
  2. 1 x Etoposide - 1 hour
  3. 2 x Cisplatin - 4 hours
  4. 1 x Saline - 4 hours
There was a bit more excitement during this day's treatment as the first Cisplatin went through a "bit" quicker than it should have done.  After a discussion with the chemo-ward nurse they agreed it was okay, I also checked up with my oncologist when he did his rounds and he said that it was okay - just a bit more stress for me!

I also started with a dry tickle cough early evening, luckily this disappeared after a couple of hours, but another thing to keep me interested in what's happening.

Other things that happened to day, my wife visited in the morning - lovely, and my folks in the afternoon.  Sometimes you've got to appreciate that it isn't just about yourself, okay (for me) clearly it is, this is a big thing for me - TC can be a killer and as such needs to be treated appropriately, but there are other people (family) affected.  So to spend time with them is good.  My wife, I think, is coping okay and we had a good couple of hours.  And the afternoon with my parents was good, and I think very good for them.  Seeing me sitting with an infusion in clearly isn't great, but seeing me as just the same person I've always been, I think was.  I think that really helped them (particularly mum) come to terms with what's what.

As I said in a previous post I think I am somewhat compulsive, and part of my self-therapy is externalising my knowledge - I am a TC-bore.  Whilst talking things over with my parents and explaining yesterday's question and answer session, my dad said that my behaviour, wish for knowledge, understanding and calm appreciation for the situation I/we're in is exceptional.  Thanks dad :)

No comments:

Post a Comment