Saturday 11 September 2010

2010/09/10 - Day 10 of 63, I swoon

Well day 10 wasn't the best day!  After having such a good day 9, I thought I was climbing back towards a level of normality.  To be fair the day started okay, we took the kids to school and then off to the hospital for my second week bleomycin.  So far so good, got to the hospital in good time, got set up in a little room, and then...

The nurse made a bit of a fist at getting the cannula in, well she got it in but I wouldn't bleed... so she huffed and puffed, and I fainted!  I put it down to not sleeping, stress and all sorts, but the next thing I knew was that I was lying down and a face (Ken) was over me saying "everything was fine...".  Eventually they managed to get a new cannula in and get my bloods done.

And the bloods came back with with (as the nurse nicely put it) "less than zero white blood cells" and a very low platelet count.  Anyway after a phone call to the doctor they hooked me up for my bleomycin.  The doctor came to see me and decided that I could/should have another course of booster injections and that I must keep an eye on myself (temperature).

I have to say I went home feeling "ill" and crashed out straight away.  That was fine, except I woke up over cooked in bed with my temperature varying from 37 - 38, which is too high for a man with no white blood cells. So this set me on a bit of a monitoring panic.  However after getting out of bed and slowly "doing stuff" my temp stablised in the low 37's, and after some tea and gentle TV watching it was down to high 36.

I didn't like fainting (actually I didn't know much about it), and my wife said I was snoring!!

No comments:

Post a Comment