Friday 15 October 2010

15/10/2010 Day 45 (part 1) - Don't panic, but I did!

Friday (today) was exciting for a number of (not necessarily good) reasons.

Firstly as is usual one of the SHOs/ward doctors came to see me this morning once I was up.  I hadn't seen this chap before and he asked the usual questions (how are you today etc...) well I told him okay, except that in the shower I had to "clear my chest" (cough up some phlegm - nice!) three or four times.

And with that he was straight in there with questions like - was there any blood...  Then he was out with the stethoscope and listening to my chest.  And it was I'll arrange an x-ray for you... now.  And so starts some mild angst in me...  (I blame http://livethrivesurvive.blogspot.com/ - sorry Nick! who had a much more serious requirement of additional chest x-rays...)

I have 2 x-rays (back and side) then it's back to my room, and in comes one of the chemo nurses to take some blood from me (which they have only done before at the beginning of treatment - so that was unusual), and I feel my blood pressure rising.

And then... nothing... is that good/bad or what?!

Thankfully at lunch time my oncologist arrived for his weekly chat.  First question (onc) "how are you", first reply (me) "well I am somewhat anxious..." and I tell him about the mornings escapade.  This isn't (yet) in my notes so he stops me and goes to find out.  Thankfully (very much thankfully) x-rays and bloods normal... I'll put it down to the bleo of yesterday and the fact I'm just vegetating in a chair.

The rest of the conversation was very good, I'd come up with a list of a dozen questions/things I'd noticed over the last cycle, which he noted a few things in my file and answered the questions as well as he could.  Anyway I was basically happy as soon as he'd said the x-ray/bloods were fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment