Friday 15 October 2010

13/10/2010 And so (hopefully) the last cycle starts...

My (hopefully) last cycle of BEP started this last Wednesday (13th October), and on the whole it's gone pretty well.  The main thing(s) of note this time around have been that I've been somewhat "hyper" for the whole three days. I think it's to do with the steroids, but I've noticed that almost all my conversations have had me in a somewhat intense frame of mind - barely letting anyone get a word in edge ways.

I did bring my laptop, in the hope of working through as I did in cycle 2's three day stay, but absolutely not a hope - my mind has been randomly uncontrollable and the last thing I have needed (this time) is actual work stress/concerns - so I've played the "sick note" and left them to it... also the Christies WIFI seemed to play up (honestly!) on Wednesday/Thursday - which was handy!

Other things, had lots of visitors this time - my folks (twice), my missus, my plutonic swimming friend, and a couple of other swimming friends, so I've been kept busy talking "at them"...

The treatment has gone well, it just takes so long:

  • Wednesday (Etoposide, 2 x Cisplatin and 1 x Saline) was much quicker than last time, but still didn't finish until 23:45.
  • Thursday (Bleomycin, Etoposide, 2 x Cisplatin and 1 x Saline) took until 01:00, Friday,
  • Friday (Etoposide and 2 x Saline) isn't scheduled to finish until 23:45.
Luckily, I still haven't been sick, so don't require the two "optional" bags of saline (or another eight hours!!)

I've couple of other things to report/say, but will do that in a couple of other posts.

Oh, the last thing of this post - what is it with me and flipping cannulas?!?!?!  Poor old Dil (my chemo nurse on Wednesday) was the same nurse as cycle to who uttered the (now immortal to me) words "sorry I've hit a junction".  Had more trials this time.  Okay he got the cannula in first time (result!) but couldn't get any blood out of it - don't ask me why, the cannula is in a vein - so there should be some blood shouldn't there?!

Anyway try as he might, no go...  But and this was brilliant.  Instead of taking it out and searching for another one (vein) he asked if I wouldn't mind him using one of the "big" veins on the inner elbow for bloods?  Result says I, straight in there no pain/slight scratch/whatever and all the blood he could hope for!!

No comments:

Post a Comment